Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Balance board fun

This week I found out about balance boards. Its good for surfing, and sense we don't get all that many BIG waves up here, I thought it my best chance at practice. I did a little research and found some boards that like cost a lot! $150 and up. But then I found a 'build your own' web page. It didn't look to hard, and for around $25 - $30 you could get the wood and roller. So I built a board. First, I made a template out of posterboard. once I had the template, all I had to do was trace and cut. Thats exactly what I did. I was so anxious to ride the thing, and after useing the jig saw, I tryed it on a 4" diameter pine log. It wooked really well, but I needed to get a larger dia log to roll on. 6" would be the best, but the only avalible 6" dia roller was a 10' long PVC pipe for $25! I ended up setleing for a 5" log. It works well. For a wile I used it just plain, but soon I staind it.

My Mom told me to make one for the kid across the street. I didn't have a choice, but I knew it would be fun. I made the board like so fast! I then satind and put 3 coats of polyurithane on both boards. I made sure to make it a surprise for Jordan who would get it.

While doing all this I made one other board that looks like a skate board. It got the coats of polyurithane, but no stain. It is a quick board to ride while the others dryed.